Frequently Asked Questions

May I have the veterinarian of my choice inspect my facility?
I live in a remote area, sixty miles from an avian veterinarian, can I use a local vet who is good, but generally sees cats and dogs?
Although it is recommended that the inspecting veterinarian be an avian veterinarian, it is not required.
Do I have to have all the answers on the Inspection Form correct in order to be certified?
MAP no longer uses a grading system. The application consists entirely of Yes/No questions. An application will be approved if all the responses are either Yes or a legitimate Not Applicable. If any of your answers are No, don't submit the application or the fee until the conditions have been met and all answers are Yes.
How can I find out about avian veterinarians in my area?
MAP will provide a list of veterinarians in your area who are members of the Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV) at your request. If there are none, select a well-respected local veterinarian and ask him/her if he/she will perform the inspection for you.
How did MAP come to be?
In the early eighties, the National Cage and Aviary Bird Improvment Plan was publicized and discussed across the US. Aviculturists in Northern California decided the Plan did not address the needs of the birds started working on MAP, a plan designed by Aviculturists, for Aviculturists. From 1985 through 1989, this group of bird breeders, joined by several avian veterinarians, worked to put together a voluntary non-government-run plan. MAP was designed to provide certification of bird breeders' facilities, management practices and record keeping. The plan had to be simple and effective. In addition to certification, the plan would provide information on bird care and management, important government regulations and provide a high profile for breeders with good management practices so that they would find it easier to sell their birds. A higher-quailty, healthy bird is the product of good management. For those selling to the pet industry or the general public, certification provides a seal of approval. Certified participants who indicate they want to have publicity will be a part of a list of certified MAP participants publicized to the pet industry.
Do you have to register with the government?
The MAP BOD designed MAP to be separate from government, both State and Federal. It is a private, non-profit service organization, similar to the poultry industry associations which are government approved, but not government administered.
I am a veterinarian; can I inspect my own aviaries?
No. That would be a direct conflict of interest. You must contract with another veterinarian.
Where does the application money go?
At present, the money is used to pay for copies, printed matter, inspection forms printed in triplicate, stamps, post office box rental, general office supplies and secretarial wages.
I don't have suspended flights. Can I still pass a MAP inspection?
Whether you have suspended flights, small breeding cages or walk in aviaries, you can still pass a MAP inspection because the inspection is not based on the types of cages; it is based on management and record keeping.
How much time do I have to prepare for the inspection after receiving the forms?
As much time as you need. MAP does not set a timeline for applicants.

Home Page

Preparing for MAP Certification:

The MAP Process

MAP's Key Elements

The Veterinarian's Role

Exotic Bird Facilities

Closed Aviary Concept

Flock Health Management

Managing Flock Emergencies

Record Keeping

Submitting Your Application:

Guidelines and Forms

MAP Fees

About the Organization:

Why We Need MAP

MAP History

MAP Founders

MAP's Future

MAP's Board of Directors

Frequently Asked Questions

Recommended Reading

MAP Certified Facilities

Feedback Form